
Because of my work, I was asked to go for a seminar cum retreat on Spiritual Direction this week. It was a silent retreat, we were told not to speak for 1 1/2 days. The silence was not a problem for me but the usage of songs and candles gives me the "eerie" feeling. Then I remembered there were two occassions where this kind of discipline was conducted before when I was in Form 6 and my previous working place. Both were conducted by Catholic priest.
I did learn a number of things, one of them was SD is a discipline where with the help of another, you try to listen to your own heart and to God's. It's about a desire to know God and so I am giving space to God for attention. It's done with 2-3 people or with a group. The Spiritual director listens to the direetee and then simply asks questions as directed and discerned of the Holy Spirit. Definitely something new and won't say I am all comfortable with it.
Besides this, the time of silence was really good for me to reflect and seek God for different things...myself, friendships, work and ministry. I discovered to my surprise that I am a loner...no wonder I could do so many things on my own...
I reflected on my friendships and I have found that I have lost or beginning some friendships simply because of changes in lifestyles or priority of life. These losses are painful but I am also grateful that God has given me many individuals who have helped me in my faith and ministry. Once mentors, now are like friends. They still don't failed to smile and walk with me in my faith even through difficult times. These are the ones who really left behind a good legacy for me to follow as it is not my turn to lead others. Am grateful too that God has provided me with friends in the ministry whom can see things from my point of view, pray, cry and smile with me thru ups and downs. These days, I need more friends like these whom I can talk too...and God has provided.
So in conclusion, SD - a new and ankward experience but the something that has brought me closer to God...Amen.
1 comment:
I have always appreciated silent retreats. Have only been for 2, but really appreciate it.
Glad you are discovering new things... Walking with God is always a journey of discovery.
He is wonderful. :)
Post a Comment