These past 4 years I noticed a very big change in my behavior patterns which is not very good actually. Probably good enough to shock some of my friends away.
I grew up a timid girl. I don't dare to talk much. Then after I accepted Christ as my personal Savior, I became a little more daring and bold. Still I will accept things as it is for me, not arguing or defend myself when things are wrong. So even if someone seem to bully I will just let them go and "suffer" by myself. Then went thru university, work, bible school and then overseas in Philippines for a year. I was exposed to friends from different culture. We shared so many fun things together...they will tell me their cultures and I will tell them mine. Wow...suddenly I was open to people and I learn "confrontation". People there from a more "mono-culture" country found me to be someone who is "westernized"...hmmmnnnn I really wonder why.
Then I came back to KL, I became more brave in talking and expressing myself. The 3 1/2 years after that was one of the life-changing ones. I was in full time ministry and was exposed to many issues which we don't see just by attending church. I was shocked by many things. Also was dating my Russian boyfriend then who is my husband now. I saw the strong side of me which surprised me very much...
Then moved to Russia for 4 years...even a more life-changing, painful one. Not only I had challenges in my marriage, I had to face a very very different society - a very strong one too...I had to learn a new language, culture and definitely there were "shocks". Many times I had to learn to defend myself. And I guess I became much stronger along the way. I don't allow people to bully me in anyway...That was my stand...
Today I'm back in Malaysia and "boy" guess what I am less tolerable and wanting my rights...and even shocked my own husband! I don't let people cheat me especially at shops. Yesterday and today when we went for "makan", two restaurants tried to charge us higher by RM1.60-4.00 then the featured menu price. I reasoned with the boss and even though they were strong, I stood on my grounds and demanded for fair price. So finally I got it. But honestly speaking, I don't think it's a nice for Christians to behave like that...
So I wonder and feel bad and repented and pray...I think it's the process of growing up...actually a lot of stress which is not good for health....
4 comments:
Hey, being Christlike does not mean being a doormat.
There are times we are to be gracious and there are times we need to stand for our rights.
Some people we see they are at our mercy and need a second chance. Some we se they are wolves just waiting to pounce on any they see weak. Know the difference of the 2.
Happy Easter.
yah i agree...thanks for the advise
Wah...what a life! Going to a foreign place,coping with your maariage and the new culture...
I am glad though that you are daring enough to speak up now. Can use it to also speak up for our Lord.
And being Christian is not that we cannot speak up but how we speak up I guess...and what we speak up for.
I agree with you...100%...I believe Christians need to be Christlike in our speech and action and not a doormat
Post a Comment